Thanksgiving preparation tips to make your celebration flawless
Can you believe it? It is almost Thanksgiving. We aren’t really sure what happened with the last few months, but they are flying by. But, this is no time to panic. You have plenty of time to create the perfect holiday celebration.
One of our favorite things to do is help our clients get ready for the holidays. This is the time that we get to stretch our creative muscles as we plan Instagram worth tablescapes and menus that have everyone talking for years.
If you are taking on this big task alone we want to share our checklist with you. Our comprehensive guide created by our pros will make sure that no detail is left behind. And of course, if you need some help our LifeSquire team is here to assist you.
The perfect schedule for your holiday dinner prep. Here is what we suggest to keep you on track:
One week before Thanksgiving:
- Confirm your guest list.
- Check to make sure you have enough tables and chairs for your guests.
- Make sure you have all of the serving dishes, flatware, and glassware that you need.
- Clean the items that need to be washed, so they are ready for the big day.
- Finish up the decorations.
- Buy your nonperishable food items.
- If children are coming, collect items to keep them entertained.
- Check thawing time on the turkey to make sure you give it plenty of time to thaw.
- Thaw the turkey when it is appropriate. If you don’t know, call the Turkey Hotline.
- Start deep cleaning and organizing the house.
- Create a plan for dinner leftovers. Get containers for storage.
Two days ahead:
- Put all of the beverages in the refrigerator so they will be chilled for dinner.
- If you are getting real flowers for the table, today is the day to buy them.
- Make a trip to the store to grab all of those perishable items you will need for cooking.
- Clean your vegetables. Slice and prep the vegetables that won’t brown.
- If you are making it homemade, today is the day to make the cranberry sauce.
- Put up your decorations if you haven’t already.
One day before Thanksgiving
- Prepare the ingredients for the stuffing.
- Peel and place potatoes in a pot of cold water. Put the pot in the refrigerator.
- Prepare any dishes that can be done early. Desserts can almost always be made early.
- Do a light round of house cleaning and make sure there are extra paper goods for the bathroom.
- Set the table perfectly. And name cards if you like that touch.
- Set up the area where the drinks and desserts will be, don’t forget to include cups, flatware, and plates.
- Find a place for your guests to put their coats and handbags.
- Ensure you have a space for dirty dishes or trash that everyone can access.
The big day
- Start the day by cooking the turkey. Make sure to follow the directions.
- Assign someone to answer the door, so that you won’t have to worry about it while cooking.
- Finish preparation for the side dishes and start cooking.
- Fill condiment dishes with items you may need. Cover them and put them in the refrigerator until they are needed.
- If you run out of burner spaces, heat up side dishes in the microwave quickly.
- Heat rolls and other bread items before dinner and as needed.
- Pour the drinks and slice the turkey.
If you don’t have time to do all of these things and believe me we understand, we have personal assistants that will help you get everything ready for the big day. Learn more about LifeSquire personal assistant service.